Recently while we were all sick, my son asked me to “Please make Nanna’s Pea & Ham soup.”
I’ve made a lot of my mum’s recipes over the years but I’ve never made her Pea & Ham soup. Years ago when we first began eating a lot less meat, I planned to make a meatless version of mum’s soup. So when my son asked me to make it I took the opportunity to have a play in the kitchen:-)
I think it came out pretty well and I’d definitely make it again. The shitake mushrooms give a really great chewy texture, while the liquid smoke and BBQ coconut aminos give the smokey flavour.
By the way, if you love yellow split peas, make sure you check out our Yellow Split Pea Dahl episode:-).
Mushy Pea Soup (aka Meatless Pea & Ham Soup)
- 1 packet dried, sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups water (or more if you like it runny)
- 1/2 swede, grated
- 1 /2 parsnip, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small stalk of celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1/8 teaspoon natural liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon BBQ coconut aminos
- To a saucepan, add the yellow split peas and water; bring to boil then simmer for 45 minutes.
- Prepare the shitake mushrooms by soaking them in boiling water for 30 seconds then drain and rinse off the water and add the mushrooms to the water and split peas. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables, liquid smoke and coconut aminos, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If you’d like a runnier soup, add more water.
- Make sure you check the ingredients of the BBQ coconut aminos and liquid smoke to make sure they’re suitable for your diet
- The next day you might find the leftovers “settle out” a little, if this happens, just stir it up before you heat it up.
- This is a simple, but yummy recipe that is great for those cold winter nights (or days:-).
Looking for more recipes for cold days?
Check out our book: The Little Book of Allergy Friendly Main Meals
(available on Amazon, ibooks, kobo & nook)