Considering it’s now officially winter, I thought it was a good time to share some of our warmer winter side dishes.
Mushroom and lentils is one of our go-to sides. They’re really quick to prepare and they taste yummy. Here’s how we make them:
Mushroom and lentils
- 5 large mushrooms (or more if you really like mushroom) cut into thick slices and then cut into half
- 1 brown onion thinly sliced
- 2 cans of lentils
- Porcini salt
- olive oil
- Brown the onion in some olive oil in a frying pan.
- Next add the mushrooms and a generous sprinkle of the porcini salt (this is the secret ingredient. We get this salt from a store in the Adelaide Central Markets – but if you have another salt you love, then give that a go). Cook the mushrooms until they begin to reduce a little in size and turn a golden colour on the edges.
- Add the lentils (rinse and drain if you’re using canned lentils, or alternatively you could cook them from scratch).
You could replace the lentils with any bean you like. We often cook chickpeas, but it’s nice with cannellini beans and butter beans too.
We serve this with steamed veggies, and often we’ll serve it with home made chips (sweet potato or white), simple roasted veggies and gravy.
Are you on our mailing list? If you’d like more free-from friendly recipe ideas or some meal planning inspiration and tips just click here.