Tabouli has to be one of my favourite green salads.
Last year I went about creating an alternative I could take to our large family functions that would suit all our needs (eg. no lemon for me, no gluten for my niece with coeliac disease) and I came up with this one.
Lemon and Gluten-free Tabouli
- 1 large bunch English (curly) parsley chopped
- 1 large bunch Italian (flat leaf) parsley chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves (I grate this as I can’t chop it small enough)
- 1/4-1/2 red onion (or spring onion if you like) finely sliced
- 1/ cup chick peas
- 1 large red tomato diced
- 4-5 sprigs of mint chopped finely
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts (chopped)(see note below if you can’t eat nuts)
- 1/4 cup almonds (chopped)(see note below if you can’t eat nuts)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)(see note below if you can’t eat nuts)
- olive oil (drizzle)
- optional: drizzle of apple cider vinegar
Just mix it all together and enjoy! I make an extra large batch up so I can use the left overs for lunches and to serve with dinner.
- If you cant have nuts then add extra chick peas and 1/3 cup of plain activated buckinis (if you like the crunchy texture)
- If you can have lemon just squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon instead of vinegar.
This recipe is what I call a “meal salad”. It’s pretty nutritious to enjoy by itself, but it’s also nice as a side with left overs or BBQ food (eg. our veggie sausages).
Also, I’ll often serve this with takeaway (like special fried rice or hot chips) while it doesn’t make the take away healthier, it helps us not eat quite so much and it adds some green to the plate too:-)
If you’d like more salad ideas you could check out this Ultimate BBQ Post.
Lastly, our book The Little Book of Allergy-Friendly Light Meals also has some great light meal recipes.