- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 sliced mushrooms
- 2Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups lentils rinsed and drained (approx 2 cans)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- spices – Fennel 2 tsp, coriander 1 tsp, allspice 1tsp, salt 1 1/2 tsp and pepper (and chilli to taste)
- 1 tbsp vegan-friendly Worcestershire sauce
- extra water if it feels too dry
1. Sautee the mushroom and onion in some olive oil.
2. In another frying pan, dry roast spices.
3. To a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients together and mix – if it is too dry add a little water.
4. Add the spices and mushrooms to the mix and combine the ingredients.
5. Moisten your hands with some water and shape the mix into sausages.
6. Set up the steamer with some foil as a lining, and place the “sausages” into the steamer and steam for 20 mins.
7. Once cooled roll the sausages in polenta (you may need to re-shape them a bit) and put them back in the fridge to cool (uncovered so they “harden up” a bit.
8. Fire up the barbecue and cook them. Adding extra oilve oil to the barbecue will help them get the “charred” appearance and the smoky barbecue flavour.
So many alternatives!
There are so many ways you can use the foods on your can eat list to create delicious alternatives that everyone can enjoy at family gatherings.
If you’d like to learn more about cooking with alternatives, watch our Episodes
and check out our Books: