This month, I thought I’d share a simple side that we love. Most weeks we’ll get a bunch of spinach or baby spinach in our veggie box. I have a few different ways I use the spinach (see below) but most of the time this is how we prepare it:
( By the way, the measurements as with most of these simple sides are pretty flexible – just add the lowest amount then taste it and see what you prefer)
- 1 bunch of baby spinach (washed) or 1 bunch of spinach washed thoroughly – don’t leave gritty bits!) and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic (or 3 if you really love it)
- salt (I’ve got Himalayan at home, but use whichever salt you prefer).
- olive oil
Juice of 1/2 -1/4 lemon
- Heat some olive oil in a saucepan. When the oil is hot, grate the garlic cloves into the pan.
- Once the garlic has browned, add the spinach and a small sprinkle of salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid, and cook until the spinach has wilted. Give it a quick stir every 30 seconds or so. It won’t take long to cook at all.
Wilted spinach goes well with everything (ok… almost everything;-) We tend to serve it with beans eg. Mushroom lentils, or in warmer weather 4 bean mix salad, and roast veggies.
A couple of other ways I cook spinach includes adding it to omelettes (including egg-free omelettes) and also serving it fresh with my favourite Indian dish Chana Masala.
What is your favourite way to eat spinach?