Spring always makes me think of Summer (yes I know there’s another 3 months to go, but I can’t help to feel optimistic and think of warmer times to come… and consequently lighter meals too).
Pre-dairy free day’s I used to love Greek salad and fetta. Last year I discovered a new vegan fetta which is made without dairy and soy (but it does contain nuts) and I was overjoyed.
Creamy green salad was back on the menu!
So here’s how I make my dairy-free creamy “Greek” salad.
- 1-2 “sticks” of vegan fetta broken up into smaller pieces
- cos lettuce (rinsed, and chopped)
- 2 red tomatoes (diced)
- a sprinkle with Italian herbs
- Optional some olive oil and vinegar (although I find adding a little of the oil from the cheese jar provides the tang and oil and I don’t need to add more).
- 1 small cucumber diced (my hubby doesn’t like cucumber so I often make it without, but if you like cucumber, add cucumber)
- tiny pinch of salt
It’s pretty easy.
On the days I don’t have any vegan fetta in the fridge, I use wedges of avocado instead.
Here’s the fetta I use (I’m not an affiliate of the company by the way, I just found it while I was perusing the shelves at my local vegan store:-)(this is a pic I took last year, hence the expiry date:-)
If you’re dairy free and missing cheese too I’ve done a series of posts on my favourite dairy free cheese alternatives which you might like to check out and we’ve also got some recipe ideas in our Lasagne episode and in our Season 3 Creamy dairy free potato bake episode.
If you’d like more green salad ideas, check out my Gluten and lemon free tabouli and also some of the recipes in our Ultimate free-from BBQ post here.