We’ve been on a bit of a Mexican theme over here at the moment with our Taco Episode and last week in the newsletter I shared a recipe for Free-from Nachos. So when a viewer asked us a couple of months ago if we could come up with a corn chip which was:
- corn free
- gluten free
- dairy free
- egg free and
- nut free
And it also had to be CRUNCHY.
We said “sure!”
So if you’re craving a crunchy corn chip alternative then give this recipe a go:
Crunchy corn-free corn chips (without dairy, soy, gluten, egg or nuts)
- 1 400g can of Butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 + 1/6 cup of Brown rice flour (see note below)
- 1/6 cup of tapioca
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds in 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbs Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Soak 1/2 cup chia seeds in 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes (while you’re preparing the rest of the recipe).
- Add butter beans, oil, nutritional yeast, garlic and salt to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the thickened chia and water mix to the food processor and process until the chia is mixed in with the bean puree (this could take a minute or so – you want to avoid having one big blob of chia).
- Add 1/3 a cup of brown rice flour to the food processor and process again (the mix will begin to dry out and start to take on the appearance of a dough – this is good this is what we are aiming for).
- Add the tapioca and half the 1/6 cup of brown rice flour and process again. The mix should really begin to resemble a dough now.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl and sprinkle the remaining half of the 1/6 cup of brown rice flour over the dough and mix it in with your hands. The dough should be soft but not too sticky. If you need to dust the dough with a little more flour here you can.
- Break the dough into 3 portions and roll each into a ball.
- Tear off 2 large squares of grease proof paper, sprinkle a little brown rice flour over the paper and place one of the dough balls onto the centre of the square. Sprinkle a little more brown rice flour over the top of the dough ball and then place the other piece of grease proof paper on top (basically sandwich the dough with grease proof paper so you can roll it out flat with a rolling pin without it sticking.
- Roll the dough out to about 2 mm thick and then remove the top sheet of grease proof paper. Place the rest onto a tray and bake in a fan-forced pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take the tray out and turn the rolled out corn chip mix (without corn) over to help the under side dry out too, and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes (or until they’re golden brown and crispy).
- Once they’re cooked, leave them to cool and then store them in an air tight container to maintain their crispness.
(This is how the dough should look)
(This is how to score the mix so you end up with triangles)
(This is how they come out!!)
These are so yummy and I think they’ll become a regular snack in our house. If you can’t tolerate beans or you’re looking for a commercial option check out this post here.
You’ll find this recipe and some other great alternative snack foods in our book The Little Book of Allergy-Friendly Snack & Party Food